Marking the 450th Anniversary of William Shakespeare’s Birth
Every year at the end of April, a celebration of the life and works of the great playwright William Shakespeare takes place in the market town of Stratford-upon-Avon, England. Shakespeare was born there in 1564 and cultural celebrations in Stratford’s streets, with entertainers, street performers and traditional Morris dancers, go back hundreds of years.
From his plays to his sonnets, Shakespeare’s extensive works have produced a legacy of characters, ideas, histories and, of course, words—it is thought he contributed more than 2,000 to the English language. His plays are a staple on many school curriculums, and continue to be reinterpreted on stage, rewritten in fiction and retold on screen.
The man himself is still very much a mystery and few details exist about his private life. Shakespeare married Anne Hathaway with whom he bore three children, before relocating to London to pursue his acting and writing career. He died at the age of 52 on April 23, 1616—a date which fell very near to his birthday in the same month (the exact date is unknown).
This year marks the 450th anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth and, on Saturday, a special procession will take place in Stratford, ending with celebrants laying flowers on Shakespeare’s grave in the Holy Trinity Church. The world-renowned Royal Shakespeare Company will also host a full program of shows.
hey y’all, I have some cool stuff in need of a loving home so I figured why not give it out to some of my cool tumblr friends.
- must be following - u bet ur sweet ass I’m gonna check
- likes don’t count hunni
- no giveaway blogs shits hella lame
there will be multiple winners, aka one for each item, the first winner gets first dibs at what they’d like and so on. if you are chosen last you will recieve the item that is left. if you win something but don’t like what’s left you have the option to gift it to a friend!!! (you don’t get another item but you DO get hella friendship points so) just inbox me their url and/or address/contact info if you have it.
if you win something ya girls gonna ship it right to your doorstep
up for grabs:
- beatles biography book (with lots of gr8 rare pictures)
- yellow submarine on DVD with extra content!!!and a lil beatles lunchbox aw
- paul mccartney 2011 “on the run” tour tshirt ~ xs/s
- the worst of jefferson airplane ~ vinyl
- michael jackson ~off the wall ~ vinyl
- simon and garfunkel ~ sounds of silence ~ vinyl
- "let it be" owl wristlet/wallet
- beatles rockband for xbox 360!!!!
- "the sorcerer’s companion - a guide to the magical world of harry potter" ~ unauthorized, but one of the most in-depth harry potter companion books out there
- !!!!!free item of your choice from my etsy store!!!! new stuff will be added in the coming weeks
winners will be chosen May 4th!!!!!! thank you and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
I can see the goddamn cell walls in the onion holy fucking shit
wait a sec is that
a hair in the cheese
oh my god is that
a doge in the hair
What is this.
In the doge’s eye
Could it be?
I THINK IT IS
Oh my days there iS A BURGER IN THE EYE OF THE DOG IN THE HAIR IN THE CHEESE IN. THE. BURGER.
THAT’S A WHOLE LOTTA HOOPLAH
- John Lennon on I saw Her Standing There, Madison Square Garden (1974)
Linda called Heather every night from London and often handed the phone to Paul and told him to say hello to her daughter: ’I got on the phone thinking, “Oh my God, if she hates me this could be very difficult”… I said, “Will you marry me?” and she said, “I can’t, you’re too old!” and I said, “Well, maybe I should marry your Mummy, that’d be good.”’